Thursday 30 April 2015

Becoming a 'Gardener'...

It's not everyday you hear a 19 year old saying they want to do some gardening, but recently gardening has become my second most favourite thing to do(Please please don't judge me). 

    I have always wanted to grow some vegetables simply because of the excitement of watching something so tiny grow into something so big and of course the fact the product is edible is a bonus! I have always remembered the time at which my grandad had his own allotment and we used to walk over to it with our wellies and spades and dig up the potatoes. It was this excitement I wanted to relive.

     I started off by asking my grandad, otherwise known as the vegetable growing expert, for some tips. He sent me some lettuce seeds to plant as well as much needed instructions to make sure I didn't fail. Safe to say my first pot of lettuce if growing perfectly and yesterday I planted my second lot. I also bought a tomato plant to grow to really test my vegetable caring skills. I considered growing tomatoes from seeds, but thought I'd take the easy option. 


   





   A few weeks ago, to create some space to plant yet more vegetables, I cleared some awful bushes from the side of my house. It took me forever, but when I finally finished it all, and squeezed all the bushes into my little Citroen to take to the tip (not forgetting the numerous cuts I received all up my arms(tip:always garden in long sleeved attire)) I was left with the excitement of the next stage; creating some raised beds. I discovered , when clearing out the bushes, that the ground is incredibly rocky and dry. I tried to sieve the soil to remove some debris, but there was just too much, so decided raised beds were the best possible answer. 





   Today I put in my first raised bed! I've run out of stakes and log rolls to do the next, but should get it done over the weekend, then hopefully I can plant my next lot of seeds! In preparation for this moment I bought some cabbage, carrots, onions and broccoli seeds. I've also decided to grow some herbs outside so when my indoor herbs die(like they always do after a few days) I have a back up plan. I thought about growing the herbs from seeds but instead found an even better way to grow them; propogation. I've cut a bit of basil off my plant and removed all but two of the leaves. I've then put it in a jug of water. Now I'm just left hoping the stem will start to sprout some roots and I can grow it! I'm stupidly excited about it. 





   Once I've finished constructing my raised beds I hope to show you all my plants as they start to grow!

Happy blogging :)


P.s here's a photo of my new hair do..




No comments:

Post a Comment